Culture Strategist Tool Kit
Living Our Values
To ensure we have a common framework from which we all operate, we have a common set of values for the university; The Medical Center has two additional values that focus on improving people's lives through personalized health care.
Our values are what guide our behaviors, and guide our culture transformation. Living by our values will help us achieve the goals we set for ourselves, and the goals President Gee has set out for the university.
In many cases, we do a good job at living our values; in some areas, we could do better. These tools will help you focus on our values by walking you through what the value looks like in practice, how to model it, how you and your team demonstrate it, and how to reinforce and strengthen positive behavior.
- Collaborating as One University
- Acting with Integrity and Personal Accountability
- Openness and Trust
- Diversity in People and Ideas
- Change and Innovation
- Simplicity in Our Work
- Empathy and Compassion (OSU Medical Center Value)
- Leadership (OSU Medical Center Value)
Illustrating Our Transformation
A picture speaks a thousand words, and sometimes it's easier to visualize our transformation. The Culture Map, or Culture Place Mat, visually represents the focus on the values, and connects the dots. You may want to develop a Culture Map for your department or unit; base the Culture Map on the needs of your team. Here are two examples to get you started.
- Office of the Chief Information Officer: This Culture Map shows how the department's mission, vision, values, and strategies align, and what organizational behavior changes will increase effectiveness.
- Office of Human Resources: This Culture Place Mat highlights the values and areas of strength, as well as the desired organizational changes and the behaviors that will drive that change.