Feature by category
Currently showing features tagged with "Academics"
Fulbrights at Ohio State
February 26, 2015
- From teaching English in Germany to developing online courses in Jamaica, Ohio State's Fulbrights pursue their dreams and make a difference abroad. Learn more about these 2014-15 Fulbrights and how they're strengthening international relationships.
2014: year in review
December 29, 2014
- Welcoming a new university president, sending a record number of Fulbright scholars across the world, unparalleled fundraising for cancer research and celebrating more than 15,000 Buckeyes earning their degrees — these are just a few of the highlights from a thrilling 2014 at Ohio State.
A fall week in photos
November 12, 2014
- What does Ohio State look like in fall? Photographers throughout campus recently captured a week in the life of Buckeyes – from sunrise on the Oval to students and researchers huddled in the lab. The big picture: Autumn at Ohio State is beautiful and eventful.
Return to the water
October 17, 2014
- Blake Haxton arrived on Ohio State’s campus as a patient at the Wexner Medical Center, where doctors fought against incredibly bleak odds to save his life. Today, Haxton is a Fisher College of Business graduate, a Moritz College of Law student and a member of the U.S. Para-rowing national team – with sights set on the Paralympics in 2016.
Eye on the ball
October 03, 2014
- Batter up! It takes great hitting to win the World Series. Could optometry research at Ohio State uncover the subtleties of a better batting average?
Success with the Game of Life
October 02, 2014
- Reuben Klamer, Class of 1944, is a titan of the toy industry, credited with more than 200 creations, including the Game of Life. He returns to Ohio State to meet with students and give back to his alma mater.
Behind the scenes of halftime magic
September 30, 2014
- It takes ingenuity and hard work to pull off halftime shows that go viral before the last seconds tick off at a Buckeye football game. In the videos below, see how The Ohio State University Marching Band brought the Wizard of Oz, The Rolling Stones and many more to Ohio Stadium this season.
Bringing the arts to campus for 25 years
September 17, 2014
- With the exhibition Transfigurations at the heart of its celebration, this fall the Wexner Center for the Arts marks 25 years as the first fully multidisciplinary arts institution on a university campus. Since 1989, it has supported the work of hundreds of artists; curated exhibitions from Leibovitz to Warhol; brought Hollywood to Ohio State; featured a wide array of theater, dance and music; and inspired countless youth to seize their creativity.
Gateways strengthen ties, create opportunities
September 07, 2014
- Ohio State is creating a Buckeye presence that goes far beyond the borders of Ohio or the United States with the help of its three Global Gateways located in China, India and Brazil.
"What I did this summer"
September 07, 2014
- Travel around the world with our interactive map to learn how Ohio State students spent their summer "breaks."
August 30, 2014
- Check out this year’s game day television spot: #ThisisOhioState. Catching a game in the Shoe this season? Check the scoreboard for points of pride about Ohio State.
July 15, 2014
- Ohio State fielded a record number of Fulbright Scholars during the 2013-14 academic year. Learn more about these faculty members' projects and experiences with this interactive map showing their work around the world.
Campus and beyond: President Drake's first day
June 30, 2014
- President Michael V. Drake spent his first day meeting with students, faculty and staff before taking part in a community-wide partnership that includes Ohio State and will improve the lives of people living on Columbus’ Near East Side.
June 18, 2014
- Interim President Joseph A. Alutto reflects on the importance of Ohio State’s historic land-grant mission and its critical role for the future.
May 06, 2014
- Thousands of new Buckeyes will visit Ohio State’s campus this summer for orientation. What will they discover?
Their Buckeye moment: Commencement
May 05, 2014
- Congratulations to the 10,200 newest alumni of The Ohio State University! Experience the sights, sounds and sentiments of Commencement Day in the words of the Class of 2014.
Happy cats, healthy cats
April 28, 2014
- Dr. Tony Buffington has spent a career researching the physiological effects of environmental stressors on cats – and applying lessons learned to human suffering. In a new digital book and iTunes U course, he explains the relationship between happiness and good health.
Recognizing excellence 2014
April 23, 2014
- Smiles, confusion, laughter and even some tears can accompany the surprise visits from university leaders every spring, as faculty around Ohio State are recognized for excellence in the classroom, in research and in service.
Three graduates to watch
April 23, 2014
- At Ohio State, an ordinary day can turn into something extraordinary. It’s a unique experience – a “Buckeye moment.”
April 03, 2014
- In Ethiopia, cervical cancer kills thousands of women each year, and stray rabid dogs routinely endanger the human population. Ohio State has partnered with academic institutions and service agencies in Ethiopia to tackle these issues and others with the bold goal of improving global health.
Ohio State's Denman Forum showcases undergrad research
March 20, 2014
- At Ohio State's Denman Forum, hundreds of undergraduate researchers show off their studies. Their projects seek to solve a gamut of complicated problems, from cancer to energy crises to discrimination.
Aaron Craft timeline
March 12, 2014
- Over the last four years, Aaron Craft has given his all.
This Ohio native son has shown grit on the basketball court, drive in the classroom, and compassion through community service. Here is a closer look at the backstory of Ohio State's beloved No. 4.
A warm Buckeye welcome
January 31, 2014
- On January 30, Ohio State announced Dr. Michael Drake as the university's 15th president. The university community gave the president-designate and his wife, Brenda, a warm welcome--on campus and on the Web. Scroll through our Storify to see social media highlights.
A healthy 2014
December 30, 2013
- Want to make better health choices? Use Ohio State research as a guide.
December 04, 2013
- Ohio State boasts a record number of Fulbright recipients this year. Use our interactive map to find out about 16 Buckeyes teaching and studying around the world.
Ohio State hosts National Conversation on American Unity
October 15, 2013
- Amid a federal government shutdown, Ohio State hosts a conversation on American Unity. "Today, more than ever, we need solutions that bring people together and set aside partisan rancor," says Interim President Joseph A. Alutto.
Fall arts at Ohio State
September 18, 2013
- From Shakespeare to Sun Ra, there's something for every taste this fall at Ohio State. Local and international musicians, actors, dancers and visual artists visit the campus to share the arts with the Columbus community.
As seen on TV
September 11, 2013
- Ohio State's game-day TV spot shines a spotlight on the student experience.
September 10, 2013
- When Buckeyes chase a world speed record, their education--and future careers--hit the fast lane.
Finding Your Way
August 12, 2013
- You never forget your first day at Ohio State. Just ask one of our 500,000-plus living alumni. Their stories are different, but they repeat a two-word mantra: get involved. Read on to find out how five alumni became Buckeyes.
Full Speed Ahead
August 12, 2013
- "My job is simply to create an environment in which faculty can succeed and students can do more than they ever thought possible." - Interim President Joseph A. Alutto
July 10, 2013
- Education brings a lifetime of benefits to people, from greater economic opportunities to job satisfaction to better health. Ohio State researchers are studying how people learn best--from preschool to old age, and everywhere in between.
May 23, 2013
- Buckeye alum Chris Wedge has won an Oscar, co-founded a film studio, and developed the Ice Age series. His new 3D animated film is Epic.
Ohio State joins immigration reform conversation
April 04, 2013
- Ohio State is a 21st-century melting pot for new ideas and perspectives--and national policy leaders are taking notice. Acting U.S. Labor Secretary Seth Harris recently came to campus for a conversation on immigration reform.
Congrats to the Class of 2013!
April 01, 2013
- Ohio State grads are ready to change the world. They're tackling the world's biggest challenges and committing themselves to service, locally and globally--all while remembering their Buckeye roots.
Denman Undergraduate Research Forum
March 22, 2013
- At Ohio State's Denman Forum, more than 700 young scholars shared research projects representing nearly every college and department on campus.
March 01, 2013
- Best of luck to the Buckeyes as they head into March Madness!
February 26, 2013
- Congratulations to Ohio State alumni who worked on the Oscar-winning Brave! Steve May, chief technology officer at Pixar, is one of several Buckeyes who worked on the film, the Best Animated Feature.
President Gee on the Future of Higher Ed
January 31, 2013
- Too many college students across the nation aren't graduating. President E. Gordon Gee is at the helm of a national commission tasked with finding solutions.
Digital First at Ohio State
January 07, 2013
- Digital First is transforming the Ohio State community, from the way professors design courses to how students perform fieldwork.
November 08, 2012
- From renewable energy to the link between health and food, Ohio State faculty are tackling major societal issues that affect everyday lives.
Ohio State kicks off fundraising campaign
October 03, 2012
- But for Ohio State, the university's $2.5 billion fundraising campaign, will take Ohio State from excellence to eminence--using research and innovation to solve major world problems while supporting students and faculty on a world-class campus.
Toward a cancer-free world
September 29, 2012
- Ohio State's work toward a cancer-free world is the focus of a new game-day TV spot.
September 01, 2012
- This year's first fall TV spot, which airs during Ohio State football games, focuses on energy research—part of a major university push toward a more sustainable future.
What I Did This Summer
August 27, 2012
- From helping orphans in Ghana to going behind the scenes at ESPN and Disney, Ohio State students made the most of their summer break. Here, Buckeyes share their stories of service, studying, career-building, and sightseeing.
SCARLET Laser Focus
August 09, 2012
- Ohio State's new SCARLET laser sets the stage for decades of research in areas as diverse as cancer therapy and fusion energy.
July 09, 2012
- As World War II veterans returned to the beaches where they fought and survived, they shared stories with the Ohio State students at their sides. Now those memories—entrusted to Buckeyes—live on.
May 30, 2012
- Outstanding Ohio State students have won prestigious awards, grants, and scholarships—bravo! It’s recognition that proves they’re in the big leagues.
The Big Ideas
January 01, 2012
- Whether it's finding cancer early enough to save lives or revamping the way we think of "old folks' homes," seven Ohio State faculty members shared ideas to change the world.