Governance Working Group
NCAA Self Study Governance and Compliance Sub-Committee, 4/02
Questions for Governance Interviews
1. Governance goals: What should the goals be for governance of intercollegiate athletics? What role does governance process play in fit between mission of university and its intercollegiate athletics program?
2. Governance structure: What are the different organizational arrangements for governance? To whom should athletics director report? What should be the role of the athletic council? How is university fiscal and budgetary oversight best achieved?
3. Academic goals: How can such academic goals as upholding admissions standards, retention, graduation, and independence of academic decisions best be achieved? Are there any particular problems with achieving academic goals at OSU?
4. Problems in athletics, governance as remedy at OSU: What particular problems arise with intercollegiate athletics? Have any of these problems arisen at OSU? How can governance process prevent them from arising, in general and here?
5. Changes in governance at OSU: What have been the major changes in OSU's governance of intercollegiate athletics since the 1996 first cycle report? How well have they worked?
6. Decisions about athletics at OSU: What have been most important decisions about intercollegiate athletics at OSU since 1996 or (if shorter) during your time here, and how has the governance process been involved in making them.
7. Weaknesses/problems at OSU: Are there any weaknesses in or problems with the governance process at OSU? What are they?
8. Representation of stake-holders: How can governance process best represent interests and concerns of student athletes, athletics staff, students, faculty, staff? Have we achieved good representation for each at OSU?