Sign up to receive news releases:
- News Room
- Weekly Story Tips
- Contact List
- Faculty Experts
- Research News
- Faculty and Staff News
- Campus Broadcast Studio
- Photography Services
- Top Campus Interview Locations
Additional Media Resources
- Medical Center News
- Agriculture and Food News
- Athletics News
- Moritz College of Law
- Fisher College of Business
- Campus Communications Coordinators
- University Communications
OSU Quick Facts
20 Bricker Hall
190 North Oval Mall
Columbus, OH 43210-1321
Contact: Jane Carroll, (614) 292.5220
Media Advisory: Ohio State celebrates Anne and Woody Hayes
Student activities throughout the week compliment tribute event
The Ohio State University will lead the celebration of legendary football coach Woody Hayes on Friday, Feb. 15, marking 100 years since his February 14, 1913, birth. The event will highlight Hayes coaching career and the impact both he and Anne Hayes had on the university.
Woody Hayes was head coach of the Ohio State football team for 28 seasons (1951–1978) and a significant contributor to the university during his tenure as a coach and as a member of the university staff. During his time as coach, the Buckeyes won five national championships, 13 Big Ten Conference titles and accumulated a record of 205–61–10.
Hayes, also known for his love of the university, inspired hundreds of thousands with his passion for winning and his love of military history.
The main university event, the Woody and Anne Hayes Tribute Event, will be a celebration dinner at 7 p.m. on Feb. 15, at the Woody Hayes Athletic Facility; 535 Irving Schottenstein Dr.
Tickets still remain for the event.
• On Wednesday, Feb. 13, an eight-foot bronze statue of Hayes will be erected at the Woody Hayes Athletic Facility at 12:50 p.m. in front of the facility.
• Media are invited to a “Legends of Woody Hayes” tour of campus including the stadium locker room and Woody Hayes Athletic Facility. Tours depart at 5, 7, 7:30 and 8 p.m. from the Thompson Library. CONTACT: Jane Carroll, (614) 292.5220, firstname.lastname@example.org
• On Thursday, Feb. 14, students can try to “Push Woody’s Car over the Border,” commemorating the story that Woody once ran out of gas in Michigan, but rather than fill his tank there, he pushed it across the border and into Ohio. The event takes place from 1-6 p.m. in the Ohio Union Great Hall.
• On Friday, Feb. 15, prior to the Woody and Anne Hayes Tribute Event, former football players who were coached by Hayes, including Greg Lashutka and Paul Warfield, will be available for media interviews at 5 p.m.
The tribute event will feature noted NFL players, sports leaders and sports celebrities from multiple eras. Archie Griffin, president and CEO of The Ohio State University Alumni Association, and the nation’s only two-time Heisman Trophy winner, will be master of ceremonies. ESPN and ABC sportscaster Brent Musburger will be special guest at the tribute. Steven Hayes, son of Anne and Woody, is the honorary chair for the event.
In addition to the tribute event, the university’s celebration also includes:
• An online exhibit about Anne and Woody Hayes, produced by University Archives: The exhibit features pages covering family and friends, education and military service, politics, philanthropy, football and legacy.
• An exhibit in Thompson Library that runs through the end of February. The exhibit features Woody’s original couch as well as photographs, correspondence, game programs, footballs, hats, jackets, plaques, awards, license plates, ticket stubs, pennants and other athletic memorabilia.
• New features on the University Archives blog, “From Woody’s Couch:”
Student events across campus commemorate, and in some cases, introduce students to Woody and Anne Hayes this week. Interesting media opportunities include:
• Chocolate roses for sale, honoring Woody’s love for the Rose Bowl
• Fitness drills to test whether a student is as fit as an elite athlete
• Rose Bowl cupcakes and Rose Bowl cake decorating
A full schedule is here: http://go.osu.edu/SLHayesCelebration
Media are welcome to cover the tribute event. Proceeds from the event will go to scholarship funds at Ohio State that represent Anne and Woody’s favorite causes. Please confirm your attendance with Jane Carroll, (614) 292.5220 or < ahref="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking: Media parking is available at the Woody Hayes Athletic Facility.
The dinner agenda is below:
7 p.m. Event begins
Welcome – Robert H. Schottenstein, chair, The Ohio State University Board of Trustees
7:10 p.m. “Woody in His Own Words” video
7:15 p.m. Brief comments from Greg Lashutka, former player and Brent Musburger, sportscaster for ESPN and ABC
7:25 Dinner served
7:55 p.m. Program resumes
The Woman BESIDE the Man
Laura Hayes-Elick, Phil Hayes, Preston McMurry Jr.
8:10 p.m. Guest Panel Discussion led by Brent Musburger
8:27 p.m. Pay Forward – excerpts from Hayes’ 1986 commencement ddress, Hannah Bonacci, student, College of Social Work, Anne Hayes Scholarship Recipient
8:35 p.m. Closing Remarks
E. Gordon Gee
The Ohio State University
Founded in 1870, The Ohio State University is a world-class public research university and the leading comprehensive teaching and research institution in the state of Ohio. With more than 63,000 students (including 56,000 in Columbus), the Wexner Medical Center, 14 colleges, 80 centers, and 175 majors, the university offers its students tremendous breadth and depth of opportunity in the liberal arts, the sciences, and the professions.