4-2-2004

Contact: Elizabeth Conlisk, (614) 292-3040

Ohio State trustees accept funds, approve university matters

Board gives go-ahead to pursue design contracts for Cancer Hospital expansion

COLUMBUS – The Ohio State University Board of Trustees approved a variety of academic, personnel, fiscal and construction-related matters at its meeting Friday (4/2), including the establishment of a new designated professorship and 13 new named endowed funds, totaling $476,127 in gifts to the university. The board also accepted 225 new research grants and contracts, totaling more than $20.5 million awarded to the university during February.

Designated professorship
• The Bud and Marilyn Jenne Designated Professorship in Equine Clinical Sciences and Research. The name and description of the Bud and Marilyn Jenne Chair Fund, established in November 2001 with a gift from Marilyn Jenne of Amherst, was revised Friday (4/2) in order to eventually establish a chair in the College of Veterinary Medicine when the minimum funding level is met. The professorship will provide salary and research support for a distinguished faculty member in veterinary medicine.

Named endowed funds
• The John S. Eckert Memorial Fund in Chemical Engineering, $100,000, provided by a gift from the estate of Mrs. Vera K. Eckert of Akron in memory of her husband, John S. Eckert (B.Ch.E., 1933), to advance the quality of teaching and research in the Department of Chemical Engineering

• Richard E. Stent Jr. Scholarship Fund, $65,958, provided by a gift from the estate of Richard E. Stent Jr. (B.A., 1949) of Columbus

• The Paul R. Weisenstein Endowment Scholarship Fund, $50,000, provided by gifts from Terry P. and Christina J. Weisenstein of Gahanna in memory of Dr. Paul R. Weisenstein (D.D.S., 1951) for scholarship support in the College of Dentistry

• The Surington Memorial Library Fund, $30,326, provided by gifts from the estate of Ruth M. Fechko (B.S.Bus.Adm., 1947) of Columbus in memory of Dr. Cyril R. (B.A., 1929; M.D., 1934) and Esther Collicott Surington (B.A., 1936; M.S.W., 1960) to support the activities and operations of the business library at the Max M. Fisher College of Business

• The Ann Greer Mills Endowment Fund, $28,925, provided by gifts in her memory from her husband, Roger Edward Mills (B.S., 1952; M.S., 1952; Ph.D., 1963); children, Harold Mills and Julie Herman; and son-in-law, Paul S. Herman, M.D., to provide a stipend for a post-baccalaureate student interning with an institution, corporation or agency

• The Dr. Phillip A. Heath Education Scholarship Fund, $25,738, provided by gifts from faculty and friends of The Ohio State University at Lima to provide scholarships for students who have been admitted to the Master of Education Program on the Lima Campus

• The Elmer/Gless Digital Library Fund, $25,180, provided by gifts from Franklin L. Elmer, FAIA, FAICP (M.C.P., 1967) and Ruth M. Gless (M.Arch., University of Virginia, 1979) of Columbus to support the Knowlton School of Architecture digital library and the production of images for the study of architecture, landscape architecture and planning

• The Marian Miller Berkebile Nursing Scholarship Fund, $25,000, provided by a gift from Marian Berkebile of Fort Meyers, Fla., in honor of Mary Berkebile Firestone, who started her nursing career at The Ohio State University, to support nursing scholarships for undergraduate students in the College of Nursing

• The Henderson Family Athletic Scholarship Fund, $25,000, provided by a gift from Ronald and Nancy Henderson of Powell to supplement the grant-in-aid scholarship costs of an undergraduate student-athlete who is a member of a varsity team

• The Linda S. Hoffsis Leadership Fund, $25,000, provided by gifts from former Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Executive Dean of Health Sciences Glen F. Hoffsis (B.S.Agr., 1966; D.V.M., 1966; M.S., 1969) of Powell, family, friends and the College of Veterinary Medicine to support leadership development in the College of Veterinary Medicine

• L. Michael Howard Fund in Public Policy and Management, $25,000, provided by a gift from L. Michael Howard (B.S.Bus.Adm., 1972; M.A., 1983) to support programs within the School of Public Policy and Management as designated by the director of the school

• The Fred and Frieda Thiergartner Scholarship Fund, $25,000, provided by gifts from The Sherman Trust to provide dissertation research support to doctoral students in sport and exercise science

• The Randall S. Yessenow, M.D., Athletic Scholarship Fund in Memory of Gayle Yessenow, $25,000, provided by a gift from Dr. Randall S. Yessenow (M.D., 1984) to supplement the grant-in-aid scholarship costs of an undergraduate student-athlete who is a member of the varsity football team

Change in name of endowed fund
• The College of Dentistry Endowed Chair Fund in Endodontics is now the Dr. William J. Meyers
Endowed Chair Fund in Endodontics.

Change in name and description of named endowed fund
• The Robert and Mary Reusche Humanities Scholar Endowed Scholarship Fund is now The Robert and Mary Reusché Colleges of Arts and Sciences Scholar Endowed Scholarship Fund.

Personnel appointments
• William A. Baeslack III has been named dean of the College of Engineering and professor of industrial, welding and systems engineering and materials science and engineering, effective July 1, 2004, through June 30, 2009. A member of Ohio State’s faculty since 1982, Baeslack left the university in 1999 to become professor and dean of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s College of Engineering in Troy, N.Y.

• A. Douglas Kinghorn has been named professor and holder of The Jack L. Beal Chair in Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy in the College of Pharmacy, effective May 1, 2004. He is currently assistant head and professor in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy; associate director of the Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences in the College of Pharmacy; and director of the Research Services Center in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

• Stephen M. Reed has been named to The Bud and Marilyn Jenne Designated Professorship in Equine Clinical Sciences and Research, effective Jan. 1, 2004, through Dec. 31, 2006. Reed is professor and head of Equine Medicine and Surgery in the College of Veterinary Medicine’s Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences.

• Jacqueline J. Royster has been named interim executive dean of the Colleges of the Arts and Sciences, effective June 1, 2004. She is currently serving as interim dean of the College of Humanities. Royster, a professor of English, joined the Ohio State faculty in 1992 following 16 years on the faculty of Spelman College in Atlanta.

• Jon R. Woods has been named professor and holder of The Endowed Chair for Director of The Ohio State University Marching Band in the School of Music, effective July 1, 2004. Woods was named director of the Marching Band in 1984. He has served as a clinician, adjudicator and guest conductor for both concert and marching bands throughout the nation.

• Fred P. Sanfilippo has been named executive dean of health sciences, effective April 1, 2004, through June 30, 2007. He will hold a concurrent appointment as senior vice president for health sciences and dean of the College of Medicine and Public Health. Sanfilippo, former chair of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Pathology, was recruited in 2000 to lead Ohio State’s growing health and medicine programs.

• Stephen P. Nameth, professor of plant pathology, has been named director of the Agricultural Technical Institute in Wooster, effective April 1, 2004, through March 31, 2005.

• K. C. Ting has been reappointed chair of the Department of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, effective July 1, 2004, through March 31, 2005.

• Amy E. Shuman associate professor of English and anthropology, has been reappointed director of the Center for Folklore Studies, effective Oct. 1, 2004, through Sept. 30, 2005.

• Bernd Fischer has been reappointed chair of the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures, effective Oct. 1, 2004, through Sept. 30, 2008.

• George S. Pappas has been reappointed chair of the Department of Philosophy, effective Oct. 1, 2004, through Sept. 30, 2008.

Appointments to the Self-Insurance Board
The board approved the expansion of the University Self-Insurance Program to include the faculty physicians and their clinical staff who are employees of Ohio State University Physicians, Inc. and appointed the following persons to serve on a board overseeing the program for a term from May 1, 2004, to April 30, 2005:
• Galen Barnes
• Christopher Ellison, M.D.
• R. Reed Fraley
• Dimon R. McFerson (appointed chair)
• Hagop Mekhjian, M.D.
• James Nichols

Appointment to University Hospital Board
Trustees approved the appointment of Edward H. Jennings and James B. Bachmann as citizen members of the University Hospital Board for the term March 1, 2004, through Feb. 28, 2007.

Emeritus Titles
• James W. Altschuld, professor emeritus in the School of Educational Policy and Leadership, effective April 1, 2004

• Michael J. Hogan, professor emeritus in the Department of History, effective June 1, 2004

• John P. Huneke, professor emeritus in the Department of Mathematics, effective April 1, 2004

• Dijen Ray-Chaudhuri, professor emeritus in the Department of Mathematics, effective April 1, 2004

• John J. Curry III, associate professor emeritus in the Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, effective July 1, 2004

• Margaret E. Griffiths, associate professor emeritus in Ohio State Extension, effective May 1, 2004

• William J. Buesching III, associate professor-clinical emeritus in the Department of Pathology, effective July 1, 2004

• Don E. Gebhart, clinical professor emeritus in the Department of Otolaryngology, effective April 1, 2004

• Herbert A. Bronstein, clinical associate professor emeritus in the Department of Internal Medicine, effective April 1, 2004

Correction to emeritus status
• Mary Ann Sagaria, associate professor emeritus in the School of Educational Policy and Leadership, effective February 1, 2004, has resigned instead of retiring and emeritus status is withdrawn.

Resolutions in memoriam
• Albert F. Gehres, professor emeritus in Ohio State University Extension, who died on Feb. 23, 2004

• Charles W. Pavey, Sr., M.D., clinical professor emeritus in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, who died Feb. 17, 2004

• Charles B. Wheeler, professor emeritus in the Department of English, who died Jan. 29, 2004

Construction projects approved
Trustees authorized the university to perform a feasibility study to evaluate the facilities and space requirements for the College of Dentistry. Preliminary cost estimate for the study is $250,000 with funding provided by the College of Dentistry and University Central Funds.

Trustees authorized the university to enter into design contracts for the following:
• Renovation of the third floor of Graves Hall, 333 West 10th Avenue, to develop research facility space. Preliminary project cost estimate is $300,200 with funding to be provided by the College of Medicine and Public Health general funds.

• Upgrade of the exterior building signage at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center in Wooster. Preliminary project cost estimate is $32,000 with funding provided by House Bill 675.

• Renovation of the first floor of Starling Loving Hall, 320 West 10th Avenue, to accommodate a clinical trials area. Conceptual project cost is $2,329,371 with funding for the design fees to be provided by the College of Medicine and Public Health general funds, and funding for construction costs to be determined at the conclusion of design work.

• Expansion of the Comprehensive Cancer Center and the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute. Conceptual planning estimate for the project is $350 million to $400 million with funding to be provided by a combination of university bond proceeds, state capital funds, and operating and development funds from the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute, to be further defined as the project budget is determined. The university will finalize the business plan for this project prior to seeking board approval to enter into construction contracts.

Trustees authorized the university to enter into construction contracts if satisfactory bids are received for the following:
• Replacement of the chiller at the Comprehensive Cancer Center, 410 West 12th Avenue. Construction document project cost is $400,000 with funding provided by House Bill 675.

• Renovation of classroom space in Room 103 of Kottman Hall, 2021 Coffey Road. Construction document project cost is $680,733 with funding provided by House Bill 675.

• Renovation of administrative and classroom space on the fourth floor of Galvin Hall on the Lima Campus. Construction document cost is $367,657 with funding provided by House Bill 850.

• Replacement of the eastern elevated walkways to Lincoln and Morrill Towers, 1800 and 1900 Cannon Drive. The project scope has increased to include sidewalk repair and renovation on the sidewalks to the north and south as well. Revised construction document project cost is $1,008,500 with funding provided by House Bills 790, 748 and 675; university repair and renovation funds; and future university bond proceeds, with debt service provided by Student Affairs.

• Roof repair at the Physical Activities Center and Fallerius Technical Education Center at the Mansfield Campus. Construction document project cost is $419,054 with funding provided by House Bill 675, Mansfield Development Funds and North Central Technical College.

• Upgrade of the exterior building signage at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center in Wooster. Preliminary project cost is $32,000 with funding provided by House Bill 675.

• Renovation and upgrade of the facilities at the OSU Ice Rink. Construction document project cost is $1,187,072 with funding provided by the Athletics Department.

• Renovation and retrofitting of the Wexner Center for the Arts to correct building envelope and system problems. Costs have increased to include replacement of curtain wall and air handlers. Revised project cost is $14,500,000 with funding provided by university bond proceeds, with debt service to be paid by University Central Funds, and from Central Capital Reserves.

Plant Biology name change approved
Trustees approved changing the names of the Department of Plant Biology and the graduate program of plant biology to Plant Cellular and Molecular Biology, effective immediately, in order to reflect the dominant research and teaching interests of the department’s faculty.

Chemical Engineering department renamed
Trustees approved renaming the Department of Chemical Engineering as the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, effective immediately, to reflect the increasing influence of biology and biological chemistry on the discipline of chemical engineering and the research and teaching interests of the department’s faculty.

Reporting line changed
The board approved changing the reporting line for the Center for Health Outcomes, Policy and Evaluation Studies from the senior vice president for health sciences to the dean of the School of Public Health, effective immediately.

Property purchase approved
Trustees authorized the university to purchase approximately 0.54 acres of unimproved real property located northeast of Kenny Road and Lane Avenue. The purchase price of the property, owned by the City of Columbus, is $91,425. The acquisition is necessary for construction of the planned Physical Facilities garage and shop facility.

Mansfield Campus easement granted
Trustees authorized the university to grant a temporary construction easement to the City of Ontario, Ohio, for a sanitary sewer line across property owned by the State of Ohio for the use and benefit of the Mansfield Campus. A 25-year easement to the City of Mansfield to maintain, operate and repair the line was also authorized. The City of Ontario will construct a bicycle path over the easement area for use by the Mansfield Campus in consideration for the easement grant.

Maintenance endowment approved
Trustees approved establishment of an endowment to fund maintenance and renewal of academic and academic support space to be funded by a surcharge on general fund space. The board directed that each major auxiliary operation, regional campus, the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center and the Agricultural Technical Institute develop plans on mechanisms to fund scheduled maintenance and renewal of facilities by June 30, 2004.

Campus Partners to receive additional funding
Trustees authorized the university to establish a line of credit to Campus Partners for Community Urban Redevelopment Inc. of up to $5 million as additional funding for continued neighborhood revitalization programs, including appropriate investment in and acquisition of real property in the areas surrounding the South Campus Gateway project, subject to approval by the Campus Partners Board and the university’s Campus Partners Oversight Committee.

MedOhio Health granted line of credit
The board authorized The Ohio State University Health System to establish a line of credit of up to $875,000 to MedOhio Health Inc. as additional funding for the continued implementation of the home health care program, which MedOhio Health has developed for patients served by the University Health System.

Management of capital projects updated
The Fiscal Affairs Committee heard an update on the status of capital projects management initiatives requested by the board in April 2003. William Shkurti, senior vice president for business and finance, reported that 37 Ohio State projects with budgets greater than $200,000 were completed in calendar year 2003. Of these, approximately 85 percent were completed on time and approximately 80 percent were completed on budget. Initiatives completed by the Office of Business and Finance over the past 12 months include quarterly reports on capital projects to the Board of Trustees, new controls on use of contingencies, implementation of a policy to control change orders and approval of a policy to control the university’s debt capacity.

Compensation benchmarking study highlighted
Trustees heard the results of a compensation benchmarking study, which compared Ohio State's average faculty salaries with those of benchmark institutions for each of the past five years. The study also compared staff salaries to external markets and the state of Ohio, examined how Ohio State invests its salary dollars in terms of gender and ethnicity, and compared the cost of benefits at Ohio State with other institutions.

Due to state funding cuts, the university has had to make significant budget reallocations in recent years, said Larry Lewellen, associate vice president for human resources. “Going forward, it will be a challenge to balance our compensation priority with other critical priorities,” he said.

Lewellen reported that for 2003-04, Ohio State’s average faculty salary is 1.7 percent below the benchmark average, but that two years ago, it was 6.1 percent below. “This is phenomenal progress over the past two years, due to the high commitment of the deans and vice presidents,” he said.

A comparison of staff salaries to external markets for 2003-04 shows that Ohio State is well below market in almost all occupational groups, although every job category except skilled craft moved closer to the market rate than in 2002-03.

Federation of the Colleges of the Arts and Sciences updated
The board heard a report from Michael Hogan, executive dean of the Colleges of the Arts and Sciences, on progress made during the federation’s first year. The Office of the Executive Dean has been formed by transferring existing staff and their salaries from the five colleges to the new office, and space will be remodeled in University Hall to enable the co-location of all five college offices. A new governance mechanism has been established that includes diversity and staff advisory committees and a faculty leadership committee, comprised of elected faculty members. Initiatives benefiting students both in and outside the classroom have been implemented, and faculty have been encouraged to explore opportunities to launch interdisciplinary courses. Future challenges will include pooling central services, eliminating administrative redundancies and increasing salary support.

Staff leadership activities highlighted
Trustees heard a report on the University Staff Advisory Committee (USAC), which represents the university’s 15,000 staff members. Comprised of 30 members appointed by the president, USAC prepares the annual Staff Compensation and Benefits Report, convenes Town Meetings with the president, and organizes the Pep Rally and the Hidden Benefits Fair, among other activities. USAC maintains an active and participatory line of communication with the university community and provides a forum through which university staff can raise, discuss, and make recommendations on nonacademic issues and activities.

Student receives board recognition
Christopher Alvarez-Breckenridge of Columbus, a third-year undergraduate majoring in biology and classics, received the board’s Student Recognition Award. Alvarez-Breckenridge, who was nominated by Dean Joan Herbers in the College of Biological Sciences, was admitted into the College of Medicine and Public Health’s Early Admission Pathway program, which allows a select group of National Merit, National Achievement or National Hispanic Finalists to enter the College of Medicine after three years of undergraduate study. He is now preparing to pursue a combined M.D./Ph.D. degree. Alvarez-Breckenridge has been working in the Human Cancer Genetics Program since 1999 and is currently writing his honor’s thesis on the role of a tumor suppressor gene in normal and cancerous cells. He has presented at the American Society of Human Geneticists and the American Association of Cancer Researchers national conferences. Alvarez-Breckenridge is a National Merit Scholar and a Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship recipient. He also is president of the Association of Ohio State Class Honoraries and the vice president of communications for the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity.

Trustees hear presentation on training of Graduate Teaching Associates
Susan Huntington, dean of the Graduate School, updated the trustees on the training and professional development of graduate teaching associates. Currently, Huntington said nearly all graduate teaching associates receive training before teaching classes, labs or discussions. Through training, the graduate students learn how to prepare a syllabus for class and to understand information on issues like intellectual property. The Faculty and TA Development program offers professional development to graduate students by providing seed grants to develop or enhance graduate teaching associate programs within departments or colleges. In addition, the Faculty and TA Development program also offers support and opportunities for senior graduate students to develop new, discipline-specific teaching support activities for others graduate teaching associates in their units.