Using ReadSpeaker to Speech-Enable OSU Web Pages
VoiceCorp ReadSpeaker Enterprise is a product that speech-enables web pages. If you click the Listen link at the top of this page you can see it in action.
Ohio State University has purchased a license to ReadSpeaker for use on web pages within OSU and its sub-domains. The license period lasts through March 2014.
Where Can I Use ReadSpeaker?
Developers at OSU can implement ReadSpeaker on any HTML web page at OSU so long as:
- the base URL ends in
- the page is served via HTTP
Our current license does not extend to secure (HTTPS) web pages. The Steering Committee may explore licensing for secure sites.
Benefits and Uses of ReadSpeaker
Though ReadSpeaker can enhance the accessibility of web pages, it is important to stress that ReadSpeaker is not an alternative to coding web pages with accessibility in mind, using standards-based web development practices. ReadSpeaker is not a blindness product. Severely visually impaired users will continue to access your pages using screen readers that are installed on their own computers. ReadSpeaker does not interfere with screen reader performance.
- Helps comprehension for students, staff, faculty, and visitors with
any sort of reading disability (e.g., dyslexia).
- Provides an extra “learning modality” for students with various
cognitive disabilities (ADHD, etc.).
- May help students, staff, faculty, and visitors with mild to
moderate vision disabilities.
- Assists language acquisition for non-native speakers of English.
- Can be used by all students to review publicly served content or as
a general study aid.
- Helps build overall awareness of disability access and usability.
ReadSpeaker has features that will enhance the usability of web pages
for many users:
- Under “Settings,” a user can enable or disable the highlighting of
text and choose whether ReadSpeaker highlights individual words or only
- Under “Settings,” a user can set ReadSpeaker to read very slowly,
at a normal speed, or quickly.
- Select-and-read: If a user selects a portion of text with the mouse, she will get a
pop-up Listen button which when clicked will read aloud only the
selected text. If she wants, she can then click the download button
on the ReadSpeaker control area to download an MP3 of only the portion
of text she selected.
As part of our contract with VoiceCorp, OSU developers are offered email and phone technical support.
- Email Support: firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, include our customer ID number (5204) and the URL of the page you have questions about.
- Phone Support: +46 18 60 44 41. Note that international charges apply.