Board Vision and Board Behavior Statement
The Board of Directors should operate in strategic alignment with the Alumni Association’s mission and vision. All Directors should be familiar with this living document and contribute to its evolution.
What we expect from Directors:
- Dedication to the Alumni Association’s vision, mission and values. Support for the strategic plan and guidance in its evolution.
- Regular attendance at, participation in, and preparation for board and committee meetings. The association’s constitution requires directors to attend four out of any six consecutive meetings, except for extenuating circumstances approved in advance by the chair.
- Serving as ambassadors within the Alumni Association family and within the university/ regional community. Being well-informed and acting at all times in good faith and in a manner believed to be in the Alumni Association’s best interests.
- Familiarity with and adherence to the Alumni Association’s code of ethics.
- Support of the Alumni Association president/CEO and staff. Providing staff with strategically- focused input that furthers Association projects and goals.
- Stewardship of the Alumni Association’s financial resources and understanding of finances, regardless of committee assignment.
- Fiduciary responsibilities as defined in Appendix (A), page 40.
- Acknowledging the importance of financial support for the Alumni Association and the University. Being knowledgeable in the multiple forms of giving and acting as a role model in this capacity.
What Directors can expect:
- A professional level of courtesy, respect, and objectivity from other directors and staff members.
- Awareness of a director’s need to balance Alumni Association commitments with established professional demands.
- Support from Alumni Association staff throughout the year.
- Closer ties to the university community and greater understanding of the accomplishments, programs, challenges, and changes.