Southeast Asia’s alluring blend of cultures and traditions has attracted traders and travelers for centuries. Begin your exploration in bustling Bangkok and marvel at the Grand Palace, Temple of the Emerald Buddha and grand Reclining Buddha.
Celebrate the golden age of travel with three nights aboard the opulent Eastern & Oriental Express as it rolls through the rice paddies of Thailand and Malaysia. From the River Kwai Bridge station, drift down the Kwai Yai River and learn about the Thailand-Burma railway. Explore the Malaysian town of Kuala Kangsar and see Singapore’s iconic Merlion Park and Civil District. Then admire Bali’s breathtaking scenery and meringue-hued beaches. Observe daily life at a traditional Balinese compound, enjoy lunch by a rice field and delight in the engaging and welcoming Balinese culture. Experts and local guides will bring your adventure to life with included excursions and fascinating talks. This small-group experience features deluxe accommodations throughout and an extensive meal plan.
Tour highlights and included features
- Your exclusive Small-Group experience is limited to 28 travelers to maximize your travel experience.
- Luxurious hotel accommodations, renowned for every modern convenience and amenity, in three locations.
- Journey through the exotic landscapes of Thailand and Malaysia to Singapore aboard the legendary Eastern & Oriental Express.
- Cruise the River Kwai to see the historic bridge built by Allied troops and learn more about the bridge from a local historian.
- Discover Bangkok's Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha Temple, Wat Pho and more.
- Tour the royal town of Kuala Kangsar.
- Discover exciting Bali, including a visit to a traditional housing compound and a local school.
- Two nights in Bangkok, Thailand, at The Peninsula Bangkok, a deluxe hotel.
- Three nights aboard the deluxe Eastern & Oriental Express.
- Two nights in Singapore at the deluxe Shangri-La Hotel Singapore.
- Three nights in Bali, Indonesia, at the deluxe Jimbaran Puri Bali.
- All flights, train ride and deluxe motor coach transfers in the Land Program itinerary and baggage handling on these transfers are included.
- Informative educational programs presented by local experts will enhance your insight into the region.
- All excursions as outlined in your program itinerary.
- Attend a Welcome Reception.
- Gather for a Farewell Dinner.
- Enjoy 10 breakfasts, five lunches and four dinners; tea or coffee with all meals.
- Sample authentic regional specialties during select meals at featured local restaurants.
- Consultation services of a dedicated Passenger Service Representative prior to departure.
- Services of an experienced Travel Director throughout your stay.
- Tipping of excursion guides and drivers.
- Detailed travel and destination information to assist in planning.
- Complimentary travel wallet.
Dates Feb. 10 – Feb. 22, 2017
Cost $5,995* (Airfare is not included. All prices are per person, based on double occupancy, and early booking deadlines. Dates, itineraries, and prices are subject to change.)
Contact Addie Natalie
800-852-TOUR (8687), ext. 3
Feb. 10 Day 1 - Day 2 - In Transit
Depart your gateway city for Bangkok, Thailand. Cross the international date line during transit.
Feb. 12 Day 3 - Bangkok
Upon arrival, transfer to The Peninsula Bangkok.
Gather for a Welcome Reception.
Feb. 13 Day 4 - Bangkok
Educational Focus: History and Culture of Thailand.
Excursion: Bangkok. Discover the city on a cruise of the Chao Phraya and the city’s klongs. Admire the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Then, hop into a tuk-tuk, Thailand’s ubiquitous auto rickshaw, for a ride to Wat Pho to see the famous Reclining Buddha.
Local Flavor: Savor a lunch of Thai specialties at a local restaurant.
Feb. 14 Day 5 - Bangkok / Eastern & Oriental Express
Excursion: Jim Thompson House. Visit the silk pioneer’s home. Explore the six traditional Thai houses and teak buildings.
Local Flavor: Enjoy a Thai lunch.
Transfer to the train station and board the Eastern & Oriental Express. As you depart Bangkok, watch as the cityscape changes to countryside for your journey through rural Thailand and Malaysia.
Feb. 15 Day 6 - Kanchanaburi / Eastern & Oriental Express
Marvel at beautiful vistas of the Kanchanaburi countryside as you sip your morning coffee.
Excursion: Kanchanaburi. Board a water-craft at the River Kwai Bridge station. As you cruise along the Kwai Yai River, learn about the Thailand-Burma railway from a local historian. Drive past the North Temple and Chinese Cemetery to the Thailand-Burma Railway Center. See the Don Rak War Cemetery where 7,000 Allied soldiers who died while building the railway during World War II are buried.
Feb. 16 Day 7 - Kuala Kangsar / Eastern & Oriental Express
Excursion: Kuala Kangsar. Explore the royal town of Kuala Kangsar in Malaysia’s state of Perak. See the grand Ubudiah Mosque before visiting the Perak Royal Museum and the fascinating Sultan Shah Gallery.
Feb. 17 Day 8 - Eastern & Oriental Express / Singapore
Disembark the train in Singapore.
Excursion: Singapore. Explore Merlion Park and see the iconic Merlion statue of a lion-headed fish. Drive past the Padang, Cricket Club, Parliament House, Supreme Court and City Hall. Check in to the Shangri-la Singapore.
Feb. 18 Day 9 - Singapore
Independent Exploration: Enjoy the day at leisure in Singapore.
Feb. 19 Day 10 - Singapore / Bali
This morning, fly to Bali. Upon arrival, check in to the InterContinental Bali.
Independent Exploration: Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure and become familiar with the resort.
Feb. 20 Day 11 - Bali
Excursion: Balinese Life. Spend the day observing daily life on the Island of the Gods. Visit a housing compound, watch as farmers work in the rice fields and chat with teachers and students at a local school. Enjoy an alfresco lunch by the rice fields before having a traditional Balinese foot massage.
Local Flavor: Savor Indonesian specialties during an alfresco lunch by the rice fields.
Feb. 21 Day 12 - Bali
Independent Exploration: The day is at leisure in Bali.
Tonight, attend a Farewell Dinner.
Feb. 22 Day 13 - In Transit
Transfer to the airport for the return flight to your gateway city.
*Itinerary subject to change due to local conditions.
Contact Addie Natalie at Ohio State Alumni Tours
Phone: (614) 292-2372 or (800) 852-TOUR (8687), ext. 3
Space is limited. Book your tour now!