The holiday season provides a wonderful opportunity to get away and relax on an unhurried cruise through the heart of Europe that showcases delightful holiday traditions.
Enjoy the start of the festive season as towns along the Rhine prepare for the holidays and open their charming Christkindlmarkts. Explore Cologne and Koblenz and sail through the scenic Rhine Gorge. Visit towns like Miltenberg, Würzburg and Rothenburg adorned in their holiday best. Make a stop in colorful Bamberg, known for its medieval and baroque buildings, and journey to Nuremberg to visit its historic sites and Christkindlmarkt. Post trip extension includes three nights in Munich and make your own plans to explore its outstanding art museums, churches and parks. This program features fascinating excursions, first-class ship and hotel accommodations and an extensive meal plan, including wine with lunch and dinner. For solo travelers, there is no single supplement. Escape the hurried pace of the holidays and explore festive Holiday Markets in Europe.
Tour highlights and included features
- Explore the charming holiday markets in cities across Germany.
- Cruise along the Rhine and Main rivers for seven nights aboard the exclusively chartered MS Amadeus Silver III.
- Witness four UNESCO World Heritage sites: Kölner Dom, the Middle Rhine Valley, the Würzburg Residenz, and the city of Bamberg in Germany.
- Personalize your cruise with a choice of included excursions in select ports of call.
- Travel along the “Romantic Road” when journeying between Würzburg and Rothenburg.
- Spend a full day in Cologne.
- All deluxe motor coach transfers in the Land/Cruise Program itinerary and baggage handling on these transfers are included.
- Informative educational programs presented by local experts will enhance your insight into the region.
- All excursions as outlined in your program itinerary.
- Personal VOX listening device to hear every word from your expert English-speaking guides.
- Attend a Welcome Reception and Dinner.
- Gather for a Farewell Receptions and a Farewell Dinner.
- Enjoy 10 breakfasts, six lunches and seven dinners; tea or coffee with all meals, plus wine with lunch and dinner.
- Sample authentic regional specialties during select meals at featured local restaurants.
- Consultation services of a dedicated Passenger Service Representative prior to departure.
- Services of an experienced Travel Director throughout your stay.
- Tipping of excursion guides and drivers.
- Detailed travel and destination information to assist in planning.
Dates Nov. 27 – Dec. 5, 2017 Wait List Only
Cost $1,895* (From price. Airfare is not included. All prices are per person, based on double occupancy, and early booking deadlines. Dates, itineraries, and prices are subject to change.)
Type Land and Cruise
Contact Addie Natalie
800-852-TOUR (8687), ext. 3
Nov. 27 Day 1 - In Transit
Depart for Frankfurt, Germany.
Nov. 28 Day 2 - Frankfurt, Germany / Cologne
Upon arrival, transfer to Cologne and embark the MS Amadeus Silver III.
Nov. 29 Day 3 - Cologne
Choose from two excursions here:
Excursion: Cologne’s Magnificent Cathedral. Visit Kölner Dom, the city’s famous cathedral. It was damaged in World War II, but it was one of the few structures in town that survived.
Excursion: Jewish Heritage. Recent excavation projects have started to reveal the city’s historic Jewish quarter. See the excavation sites and visit the Cologne City Museum.
Educational Focus: The Tradition of the Holiday Markets.
Nov. 30 Day 4 - Koblenz / Rhine Gorge
Excursion: Koblenz. Tour beautiful Koblenz. Explore its historic town center, with its winding lanes and picturesque squares.
This afternoon, witness amazing views as the ship sails through the beautiful Rhine Gorge and passes Loreley Rock.
Dec. 1 Day 5 - Miltenberg
Excursion: Miltenberg. Enjoy a walking tour of this city, home to a 13th-century castle. See half-timbered houses and a 16th-century fountain.
Dec. 2 Day 6 - Würzburg / Rothenburg
Excursion: Rothenburg & The Romantic Road. Step back in time along this storied route and enjoy time in Rothenburg, one of the Romantic Road’s prettiest towns and home to the German Christmas Museum.
Dec. 3 Day 7 - Bamberg
Choose one of these excursions:
- Bamberg: Take a guided walking tour to see the Gothic and baroque architectural gems of Bamberg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pass through the ornate archway of the Old Town Hall, built in the middle of a bridge over the Regnitz River
- Culinary Delights: Make your way through Bamberg to taste mouthwatering specialties of the Franconian region, and learn how they are prepared during visits to a bakery, butcher shop, and candy store.
Dec. 4 Day 8 - Nuremberg
Pursue your own interests onboard as the ship cruises this morning. Early this afternoon, we will arrive in Nuremberg.
Choose one of these excursions:
- Nurermberg: See the Palace of Justice building, the courthouse site of the momentous trials held after World War II. Then enjoy a walking tour above the city at Kaiserburg Castle. Wend your way through Hauptmarkt square to see the Schoner Brunnen, or Beautiful Fountain. Admire the facade of Our Lady's Church, know for its mechanical clock with moving figures, and see the 15th century St. Lorenz Church.
- Historical Tour: In the 1930s, the National Socialist party erected a complex of massive buildings as a display of power for their demonstrations. Visit the Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds museum which delves into the causes and the consequences of the National Socialist reign of terror. Later, see the Palace of Justice building, the courthouse site of the renowned post-World War II trials.
Dec. 5 Day 9 - In Transit
Disembark the ship in Nuremberg this morning, and transfer to the Munich airport for your return flights home.
*Itinerary subject to change due to local conditions.