Discover the essence of France’s Champagne country, featuring the Centennial of the WWI Armistice.
France’s Champagne country is celebrated for the sparkling wine that bears its name and its beautiful medieval towns. Explore Reims and its Cathedral of Notre-Dame, a Gothic treasure and UNESCO World Heritage site. Tour the acclaimed Taittinger estate and enjoy sampling its famed Champagne. Cruise the Marne River for a view of the vineyards from the water, and stroll through the village of Hautvillers where Dom Pérignon, a Dominican monk, perfected the Champagne-making process. Discover Épernay, where bottles of bubbly are stored in tunnels carved into subterranean chalk deposits. Many World War I battles were fought in this region. Visit the site of the Battle of the Somme. Drive through the Meuse-Argonne region to Verdun to visit Europe’s largest American military cemetery, the resting place for more than 14,000 American soldiers. This engaging program includes excursions, lectures, first-class accommodations and an extensive meal plan featuring wine at dinner.
Tour highlights and included features
- Seven nights in Reims, France, at the first-class Mercure Reims Centre Cathedrale Hotel.
- Seven breakfasts, five lunches and two dinners, including Welcome and Farewell Dinners; tea or coffee with all meals, plus wine with dinner.
- Sample authentic regional specialties during meals at local restaurants.
- Expert-led Enrichment programs enhance your insight into the region.
- Free time to pursue your own interests.
- Welcome and Farewell Receptions to mingle with fellow travelers.
- Clearly hear your English-speaking guide with your VOX headset.
- Tipping of guides and drivers.
Dates Oct. 9 – Oct. 17, 2018
Cost $2,995* (Airfare not included. All prices are per person, based on double occupancy, and early booking deadlines. Dates, itineraries, and prices are subject to change.)
Contact Laura DeRose
800-852-TOUR (8687), ext. 2
Oct. 9 Day 1 - Depart gateway city
Oct. 10 Day 2 - Arrive in Paris and transfer to Reims
Oct. 11 Day 3 - Reims | Taittinger Estate
Oct. 12 Day 4 - Verdun
Oct. 13 Day 5 - Troyes
Oct. 14 Day 6 - Hautvillers | Épernay
Oct. 15 Day 7 - Somme River Valley
Oct. 16 Day 8 - Reims
Oct. 17 Day 9 - Transfer to Paris and depart for gateway city
*Itinerary subject to change due to local conditions.