Ohio State’s Foundation Relations team is driven by building relationships between private foundations and the university to create a lasting and meaningful impact within our community, across the country and around the world. The team collectively has decades of experience with donor cultivation, grant development and strategic proposal writing, and thoughtful stewardship. We take pride in elevating university programs and research, and connecting them with current or prospective private foundation donors.
Our services include:
- Advising on private foundation giving, historical engagement and university relationships
- Proposal and letter of inquiry development, including writing and editing
- Coordination of proposal submissions
- Facilitation of private foundations’ site visits to campus
- Circulating funding opportunities and conducting targeted funding research
Letters of support and signatures
The Foundation Relations office can help investigators apply for private funding and obtain required institutional letters of support and signatures before submission. We do our best to facilitate these processes as quickly as possible, but request at least a one-week lead time for signatures and two-week lead time for letter of support.
The Foundation Relations office can help investigators prepare for and finalize proposal submissions for private foundation funding.
- Submission schedule: Similar to the Office of Research, we strive to ensure institutional awareness of private funding requests led by investigators. When submitting a proposal through the Office of Foundation Relations, we request at least a one-week lead time to review and seek approval from leadership.
While each private foundation has different requirements, various institutional supporting documents may be required along with your submission. Our office can provide you with supporting documentation, including a 501(c)(3) letter, audited financial statements, institutional budgets, Board of Directors/Trustees lists, IRS 990 form and IRS W-9 form. For information, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparation for site visits/calls:
Often, grant seekers spend significant time developing a proposal, but not enough time preparing for a grant site visit. Our office can help investigators prepare for and facilitate site visits with private foundations. What to know before scheduling a visit or phone call with a foundation:
- When to arrange foundation meetings
- Lead letters, follow-up phone calls
- How to secure a meeting
- What to know about the foundation in advance
- Visit Grant Professionals Association: The Funders are Coming! Preparing for a Grant Site Visit