Whatever your Buckeye status, 2012 was a good year at Ohio State.
Students shared their research with President Barack Obama. Faculty stars Lonnie Thompson and Ellen Mosley-Thompson were recognized as Franklin Medalists. Athletes (alumni and students) competed in the Olympics. Alumni created a new Pixar movie, Brave. Buckeye fans welcomed Coach Urban Meyer, then celebrated a 12-0 season.
And the university reached milestones, from the 400th commencement to the 10,000th O-H-I-O photo.
Thanks to Buckeyes--at home and around the world--for making it a great year. We can't wait to see what you do in 2013.
February 26, 2013
- Congratulations to Ohio State alumni who worked on the Oscar-winning Brave! Steve May, chief technology officer at Pixar, is one of several Buckeyes who worked on the film, the Best Animated Feature.
November 24, 2012
- Thanks, Buckeyes and Coach Meyer, for a 12-0 season!
A cornucopia of research
November 19, 2012
- The holidays bring a big focus on food--but for Ohio State researchers, food safety is a yearlong job.
November 08, 2012
- From renewable energy to the link between health and food, Ohio State faculty are tackling major societal issues that affect everyday lives.
November 07, 2012
- On Veterans Day, Ohio State salutes servicemen and women at home (more than 3,000 on campus) and around the world.
The heart of innovation
October 27, 2012
- Ohio State is at the forefront of heart care, with cardiac specialists working side by side with researchers across campus to uncover the secrets of heart disease.
October 25, 2012
- Faculty experts and candidate visits turn Ohio State into an election lab for students.
Ohio State kicks off fundraising campaign
October 03, 2012
- But for Ohio State, the university's $2.5 billion fundraising campaign, will take Ohio State from excellence to eminence--using research and innovation to solve major world problems while supporting students and faculty on a world-class campus.
Fall arts at Ohio State
September 30, 2012
- Annie Leibovitz's work has been in magazines from Vanity Fair to Rolling Stone—and now, through a Wexner Center exhibition, the renowned American portrait photographer has a presence on Ohio State's campus.
Toward a cancer-free world
September 29, 2012
- Ohio State's work toward a cancer-free world is the focus of a new game-day TV spot.
September 01, 2012
- This year's first fall TV spot, which airs during Ohio State football games, focuses on energy research—part of a major university push toward a more sustainable future.
What I Did This Summer
August 27, 2012
- From helping orphans in Ghana to going behind the scenes at ESPN and Disney, Ohio State students made the most of their summer break. Here, Buckeyes share their stories of service, studying, career-building, and sightseeing.
Scarlet and Gray Legacy
August 26, 2012
- When Coach Urban Meyer steps into the Shoe to coach his first game, he'll join a long line of Buckeye football coaches.
August 18, 2012
- Welcome Week is one of the most exciting times to be a Buckeye—whether you're a first-year student or an alum remembering your own college days!
SCARLET Laser Focus
August 09, 2012
- Ohio State's new SCARLET laser sets the stage for decades of research in areas as diverse as cancer therapy and fusion energy.
August 04, 2012
- Since 2009, Pelotonia riders have raised $25 million for cancer research. Every penny goes directly to innovative cancer research at Ohio State's Comprehensive Cancer Center-James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute.
July 23, 2012
- Best of luck to the Buckeyes competing in London!
July 09, 2012
- As World War II veterans returned to the beaches where they fought and survived, they shared stories with the Ohio State students at their sides. Now those memories—entrusted to Buckeyes—live on.
June 05, 2012
- One-third of American adults are obese--and it's not all because of poor diet and exercise habits. Ohio State researchers are finding out how to help.
June 10: Ohio State's 400th Commencement
June 05, 2012
- Much has changed since 1878, when Ohio State graduated its first class of six alumni. But the university's commencement speeches stand the test of time. Read on for wise words to the grads, from 1892 to Presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
May 30, 2012
- Outstanding Ohio State students have won prestigious awards, grants, and scholarships—bravo! It’s recognition that proves they’re in the big leagues.
May 18, 2012
- Expansion milestone May 21 at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center
May 03, 2012
- TEDx is dedicated to "ideas worth spreading." Buckeyes have plenty of those—so Ohio State students recently organized the first TEDxOhioStateUniversity.
May 01, 2012
- Lonnie Thompson and Ellen Mosley-Thompson made history by digging into Earth's distant past to illuminate future climate change. Now they've received one of the oldest and most prestigious science awards in the world: the Benjamin Franklin Medal.
April 19, 2012
- Each year, The Ohio State University recognizes excellence in teaching, service, and scholarship. As part of the induction into the highest echelon of teaching and service, President Gee and friends make surprise visits to honorees’ classrooms and labs to make the announcements.
Invention to Innovation to Impact
April 05, 2012
- With a new Technology Commercialization headquarters at South Campus Gateway and an innovative partnership with Ohio University, Ohio State is intensifying its focus on bringing cutting-edge research to the marketplace.
What I Did This Spring
April 01, 2012
- Plenty of Ohio State students spend their spring break having fun in the sun. But for others, the end of March means service trips and study abroad opportunities.
President Obama Visits Ohio State
March 23, 2012
- On March 22, President Obama visited Ohio State's Center for Automotive Research, where he met students working on alternative energy.
Celebrating John Glenn
February 02, 2012
- Ohio State honors an extraordinary Ohioan on the 50th anniversary of his historic flight.
The Big Ideas
January 01, 2012
- Whether it's finding cancer early enough to save lives or revamping the way we think of "old folks' homes," seven Ohio State faculty members shared ideas to change the world.