Board application FAQs
The Board of Directors has oversight of the executive, financial, and administrative affairs of the Ohio State University Alumni Association.
The Board consists of 17 Directors, three are elected each year for a five-year term and two are University representatives appointed by the Board of Trustees. Additionally, the Chair of the Alumni Advisory Council and the President of the Student-Alumni Council serve as ex officio members.
Board positions require a time and energy commitment that should not be underestimated. Candidates are encouraged to consider personal and career priorities during the coming years in addition to their desire to contribute to the strategic goals of the Association and University.
- Candidates may apply by submitting their application, resume, and cover letter to the association by December 15 of each calendar year.
- A nominating committee, appointed by the board, meets and provides recommendations of candidates to the full Board.
- The full board votes to approve three candidates during the spring board meeting
The strongest candidates for the board are individuals who:
- Have a strong desire to utilize their talents and expertise to support the association’s vision and strategic plan, and guide its evolution.
- Ideally, have volunteered with the Alumni Association or in an alumni capacity with The Ohio State University.
- Have demonstrated leadership ability and/or a professional background and achievements that add value to the board.
- Offer a diverse perspective or experience.
- Are active members of the Alumni Association and support the university annually (Note: the key is participation).
Outside of the two directors nominated by the university president, board members may not be current employees of The Ohio State University
If you would like to nominate an individual for board service, please send a letter of recommendation as well as the individual’s contact information to the Alumni Association at the contact information below. The association will reach out to the nominee and ask them about their interest in serving on the board, and to fill out an application.
Term of Office
Elected directors serve one, five year, non-renewable term. Terms begin at the conclusion of the fall board meeting. Three directors are elected each year.
The full board meets three times a year. Directors are required to attend four out of any six consecutive meetings, except for extenuating circumstances approved in advance by the chair. Board meetings typically fall in September, February and May, though may vary slightly based on scheduling needs. Travel costs are not covered by the association.
All directors serve on at least one committee. Many committees meet during the on-campus board meetings, however additional meetings via phone may be requested by the committee or board chair.
The director-elects are invited to attend the fall board meeting, prior to their official service starting, in order to become familiar with a working meeting and the committee structure. A full day’s orientation session is offered at the winter board meeting, typically held in February.
|December 15||Applications due to the association|
|December – March||Nominating committee meets to consider candidates and make recommendations to the Board of Directors|
|May||Board of Directors votes on new board members|
|September/October||New board members are invited to attend fall Board meeting and take office immediately following the close of the meeting.|
Please contact the Alumni Association with any questions:
The Ohio State University Alumni Association
2200 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43210