The Ohio State University Foundation Board exists to support the university and advancement missions by actively promoting philanthropy and advocating for Ohio State.
The Ohio State University Foundation’s vision is to be the preeminent leader of the University’s private fundraising efforts with the purpose of advancing the University’s priorities by supporting students, faculty, patients, and research by generating, receiving, and stewarding gifts and expanding philanthropic support; strengthening engagement of stakeholders; and serving as trusted advisors to University leadership.
- Board Directors have a unique and distinct role in providing leadership to strengthen philanthropy at Ohio State.
- Board Directors are individuals with diverse backgrounds and talents. Active participation and commitment of their time and expertise, maximizing individual skills and capacities, is vital to the success of the Foundation.
Be an advocate
- Directors assist in expanding and stewarding the University’s network of alumni and friends, including the identification and cultivation of potential donors
- Directors increase the number of donors and private gift support through ambassadorship in the community and collective influence
Be an advisor
- Directors provide valuable insight and experience to the Foundation President and University leaders to support and enhance the fundraising mission of the University
- Directors serve on a Foundation Board Committee, College/Department Advisory Committee, or other University advisory task force to provide individual expertise when requested
- Directors attend and prioritize semi-annual Foundation Board meetings and relevant committee meetings as opportunities to provide counsel, vision and feedback
Give a gift
- Directors meet or exceed the Foundation Board’s philanthropic expectations, which entail a $1 million lifetime commitment, a $25,000 commitment per fiscal year, a campaign commitment during campaign times and consideration of a planned gift or bequest.
Engage and thank others
- Directors attend and take on leadership roles at cultivation and stewardship events.
- Directors support the stewardship of donors through thank you calls and notes, and host strategically targeted events and gatherings.
Terms of service and philanthropic expectations
- Directors are elected to serve four-year terms, renewable up to two times for a maximum of twelve consecutive years of service.
- Officers are elected to serve two-year terms.
- Committee membership is reviewed on an annual basis.
Support the people and programs that are most important to you by:
- Making a minimum annual contribution of $25,000 or more.
- Lifetime giving reaching or exceeding $1,000,000.
- Making an additional commitment during campaign periods, and considering a planned gift through trust or estate.
Foundation Board office commitment
- Regular communication with Directors, including immediate awareness of important campus happenings and personnel changes.
- Communication and logistics in support of committee meetings and semi-annual Foundation Board meetings, as well as other Foundation Board related events.
- Periodic meetings with the Foundation President and/or staff to help define and support the role of Directors in engaging with key campus partners.
- Opportunities to dialogue directly with Ohio State faculty, staff and students to gain a deeper understanding of current educational and research experiences.
- Invitations to VIP dinners and recognition events, athletic events and exclusive campus activities.
- Special access to Patient Facilitated Services, a medical concierge service, to help Directors find the right physician, coordinate and expedite appointments and access personalized care through The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.